Over 40 years of Water Monitoring Innovations
In 1976, Chester McKee fulfilled a lifelong dream and founded In-Situ from the basement of his Laramie, Wyoming home. Now residing in a modern manufacturing facility in Fort Collins, CO, In-Situ has become an international company with over 130 employees that specializes in the design, manufacture, and worldwide sale of scientific equipment for the environmental, aquaculture, and industrial water-monitoring markets.
Throughout the years, In-Situ has become known for innovation, quality, and customer service. In 1984, the HERMIT® (Hydrologic, Environmental, Remediation and Monitoring InstrumenT) was the first datalogger in the industry to combine field-ruggedness with ease-of-use and high accuracy for pumping tests and long-term monitoring. It led to the development of the HERMIT 2000 and 3000 dataloggers. In 1989, In-Situ introduced the world’s first in-well water-level data logger. The TROLL® 4000, released in 1995, was the company’s first all-in-one datalogger/transducer/temperature sensor and became the industry standard for a complete, self-contained, long-term monitoring solution for groundwater.The name TROLL was chosen because like a HERMIT, it lives for long periods of isolation in the environment.
During the early years at In-Situ, much of the business stemmed from consulting and sales of monitoring equipment to the in-situ uranium mining industry. After the mining industry fell on hard times, In-Situ began selling its instruments to companies that were cleaning up hazardous waste sites. Throughout this early period, the company developed the practice of working closely with its customers. It is a practice that continues to the present day and is key to designing products that efficiently solve real-world problems. Today, In-Situ offers instruments that monitor groundwater, surface water, and coastal waters. Applications include aquaculture, mining, flood warning, stormwater monitoring, and more. Future product lines will continue to meet the ever-changing needs of our loyal and valued customers.
Our Core Values
- Sustainability Environmental Stewardship and giving back to our community in tangible ways
- Partnership Teamwork and cooperation with our internal and external customers, vendors and oth stakeholders
- Accountability Setting clear goals and expectations of achieving those goals
- Innovation Thoughtful analysis and application of information to problems, decisions, and solutions
- Passion Believing what we are doing and making a difference in the world
- Employee Excellence We value all of our employees, encouraging their curiosity, constant learning while rewarding meaningful contribution
“Monitor and Protect the World’s Environmental Resources through Innovative Technologies
… helping to ensure increasingly precious resources are available for generations to come”.